A neck lift cosmetic surgery is an effective procedure to enhance the appearance of the neck by removing sagging skin and making the underlying muscles tauter.
With a neck lift procedure, an experienced surgeon can develop a slimmer and more contoured neck appearance enabling the patient to look younger than their years.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Roger Tsai provides lower rhytidectomy to patients in West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA, and surrounding locations.
While neck lift is only a body contouring surgery, many patients who undergo the procedure appear as if they have lost weight. The removal of excess neck skin and tightening of the underlying muscles improves the jowly appearance to reveal a contoured jawline.
If the patient has excess fatty tissue pockets in the neck region, the surgeon may perform liposuction along with the neck lift for more complete and appealing results. If neck lift surgery is performed in combination with a facelift, the results can be more harmonious.
Patients who are above 40 years of age often undergo neck lift surgery as around this time the neck skin usually starts becoming loose. Ideal neck lift candidates will have the following attributes:
- Neck skin is compromised due to sun and wind exposure over the years
- Excess fatty pockets in the neck area are creating the appearance of a double chin
- A turkey wattle neck is visible as the neck skin is loose
- Prominent jowly appearance due to the excess skin and fat beneath the jaws
- Noticeable folds, creases, and wrinkles in the neck area
If a candidate requires only minor contouring, the surgeon might recommend only neck lift. However, if the patient needs a complete neck lift surgery, it will involve the below mentioned steps:
- The patient receives general anesthesia or local anesthesia and sedation
- The surgeon will make inconspicuous incisions underneath the chin or behind the ears or both, depending on the surgical technique used
- The surgeon will tighten the platysma muscle and suture these together to lift the neck
- The surgeon will eliminate loose skin and excess fatty tissue
- The remaining skin and tissue will be cautious repositioning and secured using sutures to create a more contoured neck appearance
- The surgeon will seal the incisions with sutures and place temporary drain tubes in the incision areas before bandaging the wounds
A neck lift plastic surgery may involve an initial healing period of around one week. In this period, the patient should get plenty of rest but perform gentle walks and light activities within their home.
The surgeon may prescribe pain drugs and antibiotics for a few days. They will take out the sutures and drain tubes at the end of the first week. Most patients can return to their routine activities at this point. However, they must avoid performing vigorous activities for another two to three weeks.
Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Roger Tsai receives patients from West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, CA, and nearby areas for lower rhytidectomy.
For more information on cosmetic plastic surgery procedures and treatments by Beverly Hills board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Roger Tsai, MD please click here or call us at 310.276.1190. Taking patients from Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Orange County, Southern California and other surrounding cities.